top of page
Search

Outrage in Manhattan: DA Alvin Bragg Frees Migrant Taxi Driver Accused of Multiple Sexual Assaults on Female Riders

  • Writer: 17GEN4
    17GEN4
  • Nov 15
  • 4 min read

New York City — November 15, 2025  Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg has released an Algerian national taxi driver charged with sexually assaulting at least two female passengers during separate rides in his cab. The suspect, whose identity has not been publicly disclosed pending further proceedings, walked free after securing what critics are calling a "sweetheart deal" from Bragg's office, allowing him to continue operating his yellow cab and picking up fares across the city.



The allegations first surfaced earlier this year when a 28-year-old woman, identified only as "Jane Doe" in court documents to protect her privacy, reported a harrowing encounter in late spring. According to police affidavits, the driver pulled over in a secluded area of Midtown during her late-night fare, groped her repeatedly, and attempted to force himself on her. "He locked the doors and said it was part of the ride," Doe recounted in a statement to investigators, her voice trembling as she described fighting him off. She escaped by activating the cab's emergency alarm and fleeing on foot, later providing NYPD with the vehicle's medallion number and a partial description of the assailant.


Just weeks later, a second victim—a 35-year-old marketing executive named Emily Bartow—filed a similar complaint after a ride from Chelsea to the Upper East Side. Bartow, who has since relocated out of state due to safety concerns, told the New York Post that the driver snapped a compromising photo of her in the backseat before deleting it from her phone when she confronted him. "I was terrified. He acted like it was nothing, like I owed him for the fare," Bartow said. She managed to hail a passing patrol car, leading to the suspect's arrest outside a Brooklyn depot. Unbeknownst to Bartow at the time, her ordeal mirrored the first victim's almost exactly, prompting detectives to link the cases.


Sources close to the investigation reveal the driver, who entered the U.S. as an asylum seeker from Algeria in 2022, faces felony charges of sexual abuse in the second degree and unlawful imprisonment. Yet, in a courtroom appearance yesterday afternoon at the Manhattan Criminal Court, prosecutors under Bragg's direction recommended release on recognizance—no bail, no ankle monitor, and no restrictions on his taxi license. The judge, citing the DA's stance and the defendant's lack of prior convictions, granted the motion. As of this morning, the suspect was spotted ferrying passengers near Penn Station, his cab emblazoned with the familiar "Welcome to New York" signage.


The move has drawn swift and sharp backlash. "This is a slap in the face to every woman who's ever felt unsafe in the back of a cab," fumed NYPD Commissioner Jessica Tisch in a statement released hours after the hearing. "Bragg's office is prioritizing optics over public safety, letting a predator back on the streets while victims relive their nightmares." Curtis Sliwa, the Guardian Angels founder and perennial mayoral candidate, was even more blistering on his radio show: "Alvin Bragg's soft-on-crime playbook strikes again. This guy's not just a migrant—he's a menace, and now he's got a get-out-of-jail-free card courtesy of the DA who chased headlines with Trump but can't chase down justice for New Yorkers."


Bragg's office defended the decision in a terse press release, emphasizing the defendant's "community ties" through his taxi work and the need for "measured justice" in a reformed bail system. "We take these allegations seriously and are committed to a thorough prosecution," spokesperson Emily Johnson said. "Releasing without bail does not mean impunity; it means ensuring due process while protecting the presumption of innocence." The statement notably omitted details on why victims were not consulted prior to the recommendation, a point of contention raised by Bartow, who claimed she was "left in the dark" by the DA's team despite providing key evidence.


This isn't the first time Bragg has faced heat over leniency toward migrant defendants. In February 2024, his office released several Venezuelan migrants without bail after they were caught on video assaulting two NYPD officers in Times Square—a case that prompted then-Gov. Kathy Hochul to publicly call for deportations while sidestepping direct criticism of the DA. More recently, in November 2024, a homeless Venezuelan with alleged ties to the Tren de Aragua gang was arrested for robbing and exposing himself to an assistant prosecutor in Bragg's own office, only to be cut loose after pleading not guilty. Critics, including former Gov. Andrew Cuomo, have accused Bragg of inconsistent enforcement, particularly in cases involving immigrants, amid New York City's ongoing migrant crisis that has strained shelters and resources to the tune of billions.


As the suspect's next court date looms in early December, questions swirl about potential federal intervention. ICE officials confirmed they are monitoring the case but declined to comment on deportation proceedings. For now, female riders in Manhattan are being urged by women's safety groups to use ride-sharing apps with panic buttons and share trip details with trusted contacts. "Trust your gut—if it feels off, get out," advised one advocate.


In a city that prides itself on reinvention, this latest chapter underscores a grim reality: for some, the streets of New York remain a place where justice rides shotgun, but safety often gets left behind. 17GEN4.com



 
 
 

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page