Breaking: Suspect Captured in Dramatic Takedown After Shooting Two National Guard Troops Near White House
- Maria F. Gonzalez
- 2 days ago
- 3 min read
Washington, D.C. – November 26, 2025 D.C. Metropolitan Police announced the arrest of a suspect in connection with the brazen shooting of two National Guard members just blocks from the White House, authorities confirmed late Wednesday afternoon.
The capture, occurring less than an hour after the initial gunfire, marked the end of a tense manhunt and allowed officials to lift the lockdown on the executive mansion, though the capital remains on high alert.The suspect, whose identity has not yet been publicly released pending formal charges, was taken into custody around 3:00 p.m. ET near the Farragut West Metro station in downtown Washington, according to a Metropolitan Police Department social media update that rippled across news wires and social platforms.
"The scene is now secured, and one suspect is in custody," the department posted, echoing statements from Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, who had earlier briefed reporters on the unfolding crisis.
Bodycam footage circulating on X showed tactical officers swarming a figure in dark clothing, pinning him to the ground amid shouts of "Hands up!" and the clatter of arriving squad cars.The violence erupted shortly after 2:15 p.m. near 17th Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue, where the uniformed troops—part of President Donald Trump's expansive anti-crime deployment in the nation's capital—were conducting routine patrols.
Witnesses, still shaken in post-incident interviews, described a gunman emerging from a crowd, firing multiple rounds in a targeted burst before fleeing on foot into the bustling Farragut Square area. "He just started shooting—pop, pop, pop—like it was nothing," said commuter Jamal Wright, who ducked behind a food truck as chaos ensued. "Those soldiers went down hard. I thought it was the end for all of us."Both victims, identified only as male service members in their mid-20s from the D.C. National Guard contingent, were transported to George Washington University Hospital with gunshot wounds to the upper body.
As of 4:30 p.m., one remained in critical condition following emergency surgery, while the second was listed as stable but under observation, officials said. Their families have been notified, and the White House flag was lowered to half-staff in a gesture of solidarity. Preliminary investigations suggest the attack was deliberate, possibly motivated by opposition to the Guard's presence, though federal authorities have yet to confirm a manifesto or ideological ties.
The arrest unfolded in real time on social media, where videos from bystanders and news crews captured the suspect's flight path—zigzagging through Metro tunnels and alleyways before being cornered by a joint task force of Secret Service, FBI, and local police.
One viral clip, shared by user
@dom_lucre
and viewed over 50,000 times in minutes, showed officers tackling the individual near a subway entrance, recovering a semi-automatic handgun from his waistband.
@dom_lucre
"Thank God he's off the streets—swift justice for our heroes," tweeted
@ThePatriotOasis
, a sentiment echoed in hundreds of posts calling for capital punishment.
@ThePatriotOasis
D.C. Police Chief Pamela A. Smith, addressing a throng of reporters outside headquarters, credited "community tips and rapid response" for the quick apprehension. "This was a team effort to neutralize a very real threat," she said. "Our thoughts are with the injured Guardsmen and their loved ones."The White House lockdown, imposed immediately after the shots rang out, was lifted by 3:30 p.m., allowing President Trump to return to the Oval Office after a precautionary evacuation to the PEOC bunker.
@EveWhite1968
In a statement from the press secretary's office, Trump hailed the arrest as a "victory for law and order," vowing to "double down on our security measures against these radical elements tearing at our republic." The president, who has faced legal challenges to his Guard mobilization, used the moment to renew calls for federal control over D.C. policing, a proposal already fueling congressional hearings.This incident, the most serious breach near federal landmarks since a 2023 pipe bomb scare, has amplified debates over Trump's urban security crackdown, now extended to cities like Chicago and Philadelphia.
Critics, including Senate Democrats, decried it as "escalating tensions in an already volatile environment," while supporters on X rallied with #BackTheBlueAndGuard.
@OffThePress1
As the suspect faces initial charges of assault on federal officers and weapons violations—potentially escalating to attempted murder—the FBI has taken lead on probing possible accomplices or broader threats.Dozens of emergency vehicles still dotted the secured perimeter as dusk fell, a stark reminder of the day's terror. Vigils formed spontaneously outside the hospital, with American flags and candles flickering in the chill November air. For the troops who stand watch in the shadows of power, today's events underscore a grim reality: Service doesn't stop at the gates of safety. Updates on the victims' conditions and court proceedings are expected Thursday morning.
Maria Gonzalez


Comments